MENTAL CAPACITY ACT – AN INTRODUCTION; WITh OPTIONAL DEMENTIA AWARENESS
Course duration: 6 hours
£80 per person
If you add on dementia awareness training, this will be an 8 hour day and will cost £110.
This course can be run in house or at an external venue – dependent on numbers. Contact us to discuss your needs.
- What is the MCA and why is it important?
- The 5 core principles
- How to assess capacity
- Who can make decisions about me?
- How to make a decision in the persons’ best interest
- Criminal offences
- What else do I need to know?
- This course will enable you to be familiar with your legal responsibilities under the MCA and the implications for your practice.
- Understand the priciples of the MCA and how to apply these in practice.
- Be able to use a framework when supporting people in decision making
- Recognise how the MCA keeps people safe and supports the human rights act.
- Reflect on what else you need to know to improve your practice.
If you add on dementia awareness training, the learning outcomes are:
- Understand what the different types of dementia are and understand who is most at risk from the illness
- Know which are the most common symptoms of dementia to look out for
- Understand how dementia is diagnosed
- Understand the importance of taking care of everyone involved in the diagnosis, including both the patient and the carer
- Know how to care for someone with dementia, maintain their health and help them with everyday tasks and issues.
- Be aware of the different home adaptations that can be made to make living with dementia easier and maintain the person’s independence.