This two day paediatric first aid course focuses on emergency scenarios that face those looking after young children and infants. This would include day nurseries, private nursery schools, pre-schools, before and after school clubs for children in the early years age group, childminders and carers of children at home.
The paediatric first aid course meets the Ofsted Early Years and Childcare Register requirements.
Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a child:
• Who is unresponsive and breathing normally, including child and infant resuscitation
• Who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
• Who has a foreign body airway obstruction
• With external bleeding
• With injuries to bones, joints and muscles
We can run essential first sessions for babies and/or children – contact us for a bespoke course to meet your specific requirements.
Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and a child:
• Who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat and cold
• Who has sustained an electric shock
• With burns or scalds
• Who has been poisoned
• Who has been bitten or stung
• With minor injuries, including cuts, grazes, bumps and bruises, small splinters and nose bleeds
• With conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
• With head and spinal injuries
• With anaphylaxis
• Who is suffering from shock
Understand how to administer emergency first aid to an infant and a child with a chronic medical condition or sudden illness:
• Diabetic emergencies
• Asthma attack
• Allergic reaction
• Febrile convulsions
• Sickle cell crisis
Understand how to complete records relating to illnesses, injuries and emergencies